Powered By Christian Gifts

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Hope Above the Headlines


Cyber Monday

By Jerry Brecheisen

I am a "Cyber Monday" Survivor. For what it's worth (a lot), I also survived "Black Friday"-the day after Thanksgiving that puts retailers in the black and shoppers in the red. Friday was a slam dunk for me. I would rather have my teeth cleaned by an orangutan with a garden rake than do combat with a grandmother in the 80% OFF aisle of a toy store. Besides, last year I lost a decisive battle over a plastic vacation home for my granddaughter's Polly Pocket family.

Analysts say sales were up by seventy-percent on Cyber Monday. Now if the heart could soar as high as the blip on the screens of Madison Avenue, the picture would be brighter. It can. It is only a God-woven thought away. Even when the Dow dives the sun rises. Even when the turmoil rocks the boat the Captain is still at the pilot wheel. Red ink or crimson blood can't cover the prevailing promise. And enemy curses will not deafen the echoes of a covenant that lasts infinitely longer than a final sigh.
"I will confirm my covenant with you and your descendants after you, from generation to generation. This is the everlasting covenant: I will always be your God and the God of your descendants after you" (Genesis 17:7 NLT).