Powered By Christian Gifts

Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Tribute To "My Grandma" - From NJ_GOP

My Grandma:

Lived through WW2 in London with 2 kids, her husband was serving in the Royal Air Force as a Glider crew member. Very few glider crews survived the war, he miraculously did.

She waved goodbye to her daughter (my mom) at the train station as she and thousands of British children were evacuated to safer places. She didn't know when they would see each other again. My mom recalls that day and said that all the mothers were crying and waving goodbye...I can't even imagine what that must have been like.

After the war she was the glue that reunited her family after being apart for years. I have seen many black and white photos of the family at the beach or traveling together to some vacation spot in Spain or Switzerland. I learned that she would pick out these trips and save up the money and make all the arrangements so they could go. My grandfather just followed along.

When I was a little kid, she came to the US to visit us many times. She amazed me at how she could get on a bus or a train and go to the city, with no fear in a country foreign to her -- if she got lost she'd just ask directions or if she had trouble understanding US money she'd figure it out or ask for help.

It doesn't sound like much but back in the 50's and 60's women weren't so independent. She was always confident, always opinionated (must be where I get it), always sure of herself. 

As far as I know she was still an atheist when she died, but only God knows a person's heart. I hope I see her again someday, she made a huge impact on my life.