Powered By Christian Gifts

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Hope Above the Headlines - Doggie Treats


October 31, 2007

Doggie Treats

By Jerry Brecheisen

"Grab the Mars bars, Mildred, there's a Malamute at the door!" In Halloween speak that means "Honey, don't look now, but there's a doggie in the window and it wants a treat!" I admit Halloween isn't one of my favorite observances. I spent too many of the wonder years falling over shrubs and tripping up porch steps. It wasn't that I was such a klutz; it was because I usually wore a borrowed mask.

Imagine my dismay to learn that a million pets or more will have masks of their own this year. And over $5bil will be spent on costumes for the annual candy jarring. Many of the costumed will be of the four-legged kind. Now, don't send my name to the AKC, ASPCA, PETA, or the AAA. I'm not against Malamutes in Minnie Mouse outfits; I just don't want to race a Pit Bull to the porch for first dibs on a peanut bar.

I know there are folks on both sides of the backyard fence when it comes to Halloween. I'm not about to spend time in that dog house. It's just sad to me that so many would spend so much to be someone they're not, in order to get something they don't have. Come to think of it, that might describe our modern way of life. There's something scarier than a Beagle in a Batman suit. It's someone who needs a party to prove they're happier than they look. Psalm 68:3 (NLT), "But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful."