Powered By Christian Gifts

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hope Above the Headlines - New Weekly Feature Added

I am adding this new weekly feature to my blog. Jerry is a friend of mine and likes to incorporate humor into his Christian teaching. Jerry is an accomplished Christian author, and I will be sharing some of his books on the site in the future.



Nothing but the Tooth

October 17, 2007

By Jerry Brecheisen

Just when I was planning a trip to England (not), I read about their national dental plan. It seems the plan is so long in the tooth, chopper owners and renters have taken matters into their own hands. CNN reported this week that six percent of five thousand Britons surveyed had waited so long for a dentist, who by then were charging an arm and a leg, that they had pulled their own teeth. With their own arm, and probably a leg.

One Briton pulled fourteen teeth with pliers. Saying the first pull was painful, the pull-ee should have been given a crown for making the world's greatest understatement! I usually wish for a general anesthetic when I get my teeth cleaned, so when I read of this Home Depot dentistry, I had to sit down and put a cold cloth on my brow. "The tooth and nothing but the tooth" sounds good in a court of law, but put pliers and teeth together, and who knows what will come out of it.

Taking matters into our own hands in any situation is usually just as painful. God's hands are bigger. They reach farther than our past and longer than our future. And no insurance company on earth can say you're in better hands. "Has any god ever tried to take for himself one nation out of another nation, by testings, by miraculous signs and wonders, by war, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, or by great and awesome deeds, like all the things the LORD your God did for you. . . ." (Deuteronomy 4:34 NIV).